The University of Toronto will be holding a second round of lottery for international students to receive applications for electives, with placements beginning in April 2023.
Note: Specialties available for placements for visiting electives in April to June, 2023 are limited to:
- Emergency Medicine
- Family and Community medicine
- General Internal Medicine
- General Surgery
Students from International Medical Schools
Please visit the International Students information tab on the AFMC portal; see Policies and Requirements.
The University of Toronto’s electives program offers clinical placements (no observerships) to students studying outside of Canada. Students must undergo a random pre-selection and formal application process to participate. Unofficial electives arranged directly with a supervisor outside of our formal applications and vetting process are strictly prohibited and will not be recognized by the University of Toronto.
To be eligible to apply to our program, students must meet two requirements:
- They must first be randomly selected in a lottery process.
- Their home school must have signed our agreement by November 1, 2022.
Lotteries: In 2022, as a result of the pandemic, the University of Toronto will hold a second lottery in November, 2022. In subsequent years, only one lottery will be held in late summer.
Lottery registration: Registration is through the AFMC Student Portal over a two-week period leading up to the lottery.
Deadline: Register between November 2, 2022, 9am EDT to November 16, 2022, 11:59pm EDT
The link for the lottery registration will be posted here under Policies & Requirements for International Students.
Lottery registration fee: None
Agreement: If your School has not signed an Agreement by November 1, 2022, then you will not be included in our random selection process for placements in April-June 2023.
- View list of schools with agreements in place here
- If an agreement is not already in place, you will not be eligible for the lottery
Applications for electives are accepted by randomly selected students from the lottery only.
Requirements:AFMC Student Portal Immunization and Testing Form, as well as other documents
Fees: AFMC Student Portal fee: $650 + University of Toronto fee $800; UHIP and malpractice insurance may also be required.
Process for international students requesting electives:
- Confirm your home school has an agreement in place with the University of Toronto. An agreement must already be in place (by November 1, 2022) to participate in the lottery or an elective.
- Complete the lottery form by November 16, 2022, at 11:59pm EDT. Lottery link can be found here under Policies and Requirements for International Students
- Await lottery selection results. This will be communicated on November 24, 2022.
- If selected in the random lottery, complete home school verification form by December 3, 2022.
- Register for electives by December 15, 2022.
Due to email load, we ask that students NOT contact the Electives Team at this time. Kindly await instructions which will be publicly posted here. Thank you for your understanding and interest.